"I joined CrossFit a couple of years ago and loved the community straight away. It was fantastic from day one and I have been doing things I never thought I would do."
This month we have chosen Emma Parker as our Wodder of the month. Emma started CrossFit at ChalkBox in December 2015.
I hope she doesn't mind me saying so, but when she started she had a lot of trouble with doing an air squat without moving her heels off the floor. Now though she does squats full depth on her heels with a weight of 70 kilo's on her back.
Emma works hard every sessions and is always keen to RX our workouts. She encourages other members all the time and even has her family involved in joining her doing CrossFit.
Emma is a great example of hard work thats gets paid off. We have asked Emma some questions and this is what she said:
"I toyed with exercise in my 20s but always felt a bit of a failure as we were not encouraged at school. I started getting fit in my late thirties and started running when my first son was born and then after having my twins I was the mad woman with the double buggy pounding the lanes ! I went to a few boot camps before but didn't feel I was getting the encouragement. I joined CrossFit a couple of years ago and loved the community straight away. It was fantastic from day one and I have been doing things I never thought I would do.
- Why did you start CrossFit? More of a community aspect. I had no idea what to expect !
- How was your first session compared to now? I was buzzing after my first session and still buzz now. I love the fact that my family are now converts!
- What is the hardest bit of CrossFit for you? And what do you enjoy the most? Hardest bit is the gymnastics but I am getting there. I find if very hard to be quick with my hips in burpees and jumps. I love lifting heavy weights. I am also getting to love the insane met-cons and I am addicted to the prowler !
- Would you recommend CrossFit to anyone who hast been working out for a long time? Yes and also to complete beginners there is something for everyone. The coaches are professional friendly non egotistical and amazingly supportive
- What has changed for you since you started CrossFit? I view fitness as part of my life and mental well being rather than a chore I have to complete. I would now like to start setting targets and make some improvements. I have just come back from a hard core fitness weekend and I wouldn't have got through it without the amazing ChalkBox mentality. It has really helped me get through some quite difficult times this year. However I felt when I came home from the box I felt 100 percent better afterwards "
Emma you have made huge progress since you started and are ready to explore CrossFit at a new level. We can't wait to ask you these questions again in a year time to see what new moves you have learned and achieved. Keep it going!